Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mother's Day Gift - Smoothie Basket



I saw this lovely wire basket on Pinterest and got an idea.  I was reminded of the basket that I had acquired at my grandmother's house from the depths of her 112 year old basement. It has served many purposes so far since I have gotten it.  I thought I could use it as a gift basket for my mother in law's gift for Mother's Day.  I began with the wire basket and some orange spray paint that I had already used on a previous project.




I had a few tiles of cork left over from my bulletin board project a few weeks ago, so I lined the bottom of the basket with the cork. It makes it easier to place things in the basket and it is more functional. I then wrapped the cork in a fabric that I had already purchased to use as a runner at a party.  I just folded the fabric around the back side and hot glued it.  I figure my mother-in-law will be able to use this basket for many purposes down the road.







I picked up some smoothie mix from Home Goods last weekend, and then went with that to complete the rest of the gift.  I picked up these four color coordinating glasses from the Dollar Tree.

I had previously picked up this pack of napkins from Target on clearance for $.50 and figured I could use them someday. They coordinated with my color scheme so I added them to this gift. I had used the striped straws at a baby shower but had some extra, and so I tied them with a strip of fabric to bunch them together.  I got the straws from Shop Sweet Lulu and was very happy with them.


Here is the finished basket. I cut strips of the fabric and tied them around the handles to give them an extra finishing touch. I purchased some paper umbrellas from the Dollar Tree and taped them to the inside of the cups.  Then I placed the paper straws in a yellow bucket I purchased from the Target dollar section a few months back.

I love the colors of this gift and it was a lot of fun pulling it all together. I also have a smoothie maker that I am giving her to make the actual smoothies.   I think my mother-in-law will love the colors and the smoothies.  I was happy to be able to use some items that I had already purchased and only have to spend a little more on the remaining extras.  You don't have to spend a ton of money because creative gifts in my opinion are just as appreciated. 


Smoothie Mixes (Home Goods) - $6
Smoothie Cups (Dollar Tree) - $4
Napkins (Target) - $0.50
Drink Umbrellas (Dollar Tree) -$1
Bucket (Target) - $1
Smoothie Maker (Woot) $13.00
Previously purchased for other projects - straws, cork tiles and fabric
Wire Basket - free
Total Spent - $25.50


Thank you so much for checking out my Mother's Day gift idea.  Thanks to Pinterest for inspiring me to use a metal basket that I already had.

37 comments:

  1. I have an identical basket. I never thought to spray paint it. What a great idea and I love the covered cork in the bottom. I'm your newest follower. I hope you will come check out my blog and follow me too. http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is Adorable..and perfect for MOMS Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift. If your mother in law doesn't like it (and how could she not)...I'll take it! I think you thought of everything. Super adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm smoothie basket - totally love the idea!!! I'm sure your MIL will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Love the colors! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

    Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just recently started making green smoothies to bring to work with me every day (recipes found on Pinterest, where else?) and I am HOOKED! No doubt your MIL will appreciate this thoughtful gift. What a beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea...so different and so fun! The colors you selected look so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute!! I love this..the colors are fantastic!! Thanks for sharing at Fantabulous Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling idea! And I love how everything is coordinated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great blog! visiting from just us four, pinworthy link party.
    i hope you can visit my blog also

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute!!!! Love the colors! I found you on TT&J weekend wrap up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute ... what a fun idea! I love the color theme.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute!
    I'm following from "A Pinteresting Party"

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a darling idea for a gift. It turned out great; your mil is sure to be thrilled to receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea for Mother's Day or any special occasion! Love the bright cheerful colors. :-) Thanks so much for sharing. Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This basket is too cute. I love wire baskets. You can dress them up in so many ways. This will make a great gift.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea! Cute basket now! Thank you for sharing. Also, thank you for the visit and sweet comment @TheDedicatedHouse. It means the world. Toodles, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this idea! Very bright and USEFUL!!
    visiting from the newbie party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This idea is fantastic...thanks for linking it, where ever did you find that smoothie maker for that price ? Such a cute idea... You have so many great idea's.. you're an inspiration!

    Thanks for sharing... so very much !

    Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute. I love that you took an inspiration and created something inspiring of your own. Great work. I found you through Our Delightful Home's Show me what you got party! Hope you'll stop by and see what I'm up to at Quirky Vistas as well!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  21. AWESOME idea! Love it!!! Definitely pinning this one! :-) Thank you for sharing.

    Heather @ForTheLoveOfShorties

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love gift baskets...this is a great idea. I especially love the wire basket.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like this idea! I might use it too. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. such a wonderful gift :)
    xoxo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your idea. Super cute! It's always fun to organize gifts around a color theme, isn't it? Thanks for linking up at Romance on a Dime! I'm pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE orange so this is right up my alley! I love that you used an old dish drainer, great idea. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great gift idea! I would love to invite you to share at my Mother's Day Gift Idea link party at http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2012/05/mothers-day-gifts.html. Thank you!! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this idea! :) Thanks for guest hosting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it. I love those colors. Can you imagine life without the Dollar Tree? Thanks for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am in love with the color scheme! I love that it's not traditional spring/pastel colors.
    I featured you on Show Off Saturday!
    http://www.mydecoupagedlife.com/2012/05/show-off-saturday-mothers-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great gift! Love the punch of orange. Thanks so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a wonderful gift! I love the colors you chose -- so cheerful and chic!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey thanks so much for linking up to our Naturally-Nifty Party! I love seeing our button in your side bar! So fun!

    Anyways, I love this gift idea, I may use it for something else! I wanted to let you know that we FEATURED you on our Naturally-Nifty Party this week!

    Stop by and pick up our button and check out the post, and link up to this week's party! Also we pinned this to our Pinterest Board!

    http://natural-nester.blogspot.com/2012/05/naturally-nifty-linky-party-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. I hope she liked it! I would love to received it! I'd love for you to add it on my link party at: http://printabelle.com/?p=3717 Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looking for smoothie gift basket ideas for my sister-in-law and came across this! I will try to make something very similar!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate you stopping by! We love to read every comment on here. :)