Sunday, August 4, 2013

Painted Wall Frames for the Nursery



Get Your DIY On

Over two years ago I pinned an image from Pottery Barn Kids site of a painted frame on a wall. I knew that if I had the chance I would try it out in a kids room down the road. When we found out we were having twins I was searching through my pins and saw the pin I've shared at the bottom of this post. We came up with the following for the nursery for our boys:



We had a large wall to decorate where we wanted to place the two cribs. I knew that I did not have a budget for large scale artwork, was not in the mood to DIY a gallery wall and that Rob was not going to go for stenciling or wallpapering.  Then I showed him the pin from PBK and he liked it.

We first put together one of the cribs to determine how large of a rectangle we would like to do above each of them.  We then used painters tape, a tape measure and a level to create the rectangles.  I picked up two colors from Valspar at Lowe's in the sample size containers in a navy and a darker gray.

This is what the wall looked like after we spent about twenty minutes or so taping out the shape we were happy with on the left.  Then we applied two coats of the navy blue and one of the gray in the middle. 


 Then we pulled out all the tape and this is what we had left.  Once it dried it turned out great. I think it really adds something to the wall in a pretty inexpensive way. I am going back and forth with whether to put an over-sized vinyl initial or to do something framed that is name related. I guess I will be doing some more searching on Etsy.


Here is what I found through the Pottery Barn Kids catalog a few years ago and pinned on Pinterest. I do not have a link to the original source as it is off their website now.  


The total cost for this project was about $8. I already had the painters tape, but I factored in a portion of that to try and come up with a total. The samples ran a little over $6 at Lowe's.  

Monday Funday Party
Skip To My Lou
Thrifty Decor Chick

Tuesday
Elizabeth & Co
The DIY Dreamer

Wednesda

yWe Like To Learn As We Go 

Thursday
A Glimpse Inside

Creative Link Party
Friday

23 comments:

  1. oh i love them! love the look and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely LOVE...it is perfect Megan!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, the boys' room is going to be as stylish as Wynn's room. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nursery's coming together so nicely!!! Such lucky little boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg that is brilliant and I'm totally stealing this from you :) great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great! I love the two side-by-side. I did the same thing in my son's nursery. I had the idea of making some artwork have a bigger presence with a painted wall frame, but my husband said,"No." After seeing a different Pottery Barn image with a painted wall frame, I went for it. I hope you don't mind, but here is my version: http://decorumdiyer.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/if-you-like-it-then-you-shouldve-put-a-frame-on-it/

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so great! I love it. I'm a twin mama, too - just stumbled across your blog and I'm soaking it up. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!! Great choice of colour, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love this idea! You did an awesome job! I know I'm going to be doing this somewhere in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, really? Just $8!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute! I love that you can make them any size/color/shape that you want!! I might have to consider doing this for some room in my house :) Thanks for the great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. out playroom needs a little pop of something... I think this is the answer! And that nursery is sooooo sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks amazing! I am also in need of some inexpensive ideas for filling some large wall space! This is perfect. Do you think chalk board paint would be crazy??

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! And I just love the colors - so fresh and sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You always have the most amazing ideas. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea. I think an initial or some name art in there would look great too. Best part, you can change the inside out as they grow. Love this, now pinning your image.
    Thanks for sharing
    Visiting from Show & Share Link Party

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nicely done Megan. I love these little accents and details. ~jb

    ReplyDelete
  18. I vote for the fancy initial in each frame. I love this idea. I have painted borders around mirrors to make them appear much larger. Paint is so awesome! And i am loving the colors of this nursery.
    Kim@reposhture

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty sure that whatever you decide to put in those awesome wall frames will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it girl! You are our ad space winner for last week's Before and After contest, so you will be featured tomorrow on the blog and sharing on FB today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are amazing!
    Thanks for linking up to Tickled Pink Times Two!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the colors that you chose. I think big vinyl initials would look great!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate you stopping by! We love to read every comment on here. :)